Note: Hi, pals! Just a a fast reminder – among the hyperlinks on this website are affiliate hyperlinks, and so I’ll earn somewhat money on qualifying orders. It doesn’t price you something additional, and is a pleasant approach to assist assist this website! I additionally wish to level out that I don’t promote merchandise I haven’t really tried or merchandise that I don’t belief. 🙂
If there’s one factor I can assure once I put up a recipe, it’s that folks will ask about substitutions. I completely perceive, as somebody with a good quantity of restrictions, however regardless of what number of totally different substitutions I attempt to embody within the notes, somebody at all times needs one thing else. Years in the past, I posted a recipe for vegan keto bagels that grew to become immensely well-liked and the commonest query I get from individuals is “can I substitute anything for the flax?” So, I’ve lastly gotten round to this, and am excited to current my flax-free vegan keto bagels.
Typically, individuals will ask if they’ll sub chia seeds for the flax, as this normally a protected alternative. I attempted this, many instances, and it actually didn’t work out. Similarly, coconut flour was a bust. Plus, I understand how polarizing coconut will be, and I really feel like each time I put up a recipe for one thing with coconut flour, I’ve to brace myself for the slew of feedback about how a lot individuals hate coconut. 😀
Anyway, the flour alternative that appeared to work finest simply so occurred to be one which I’ve actually gotten into currently: lupin flour! Lupins (or lupini) are a sort of bean, commonest within the Mediterranean, and one which has actually taken off, because of ketoers. It’s tremendous low in carbs and excessive in protein. Usually, I purchase lupini beans brined in jars from both the Kosher or Mediterranean meals part of my native grocery retailer, however I’ve additionally seen them within the Latin American meals part. The flour is a unique story, although, and I’ve solely been capable of finding it on-line.
A fast observe – these don’t style precisely like bagels. For starters, they don’t seem to be boiled earlier than being baked. However, they’re nonetheless fairly darn scrumptious and make an exquisite base for vegan cream cheese or a buttery unfold. I additionally like to make use of them to make tiny bagel pizzas with them.
Tips on Making Flax-Free Vegan Keto Bagels (gluten-free-, soy-free, nut-free, coconut-free)
- If you don’t have a meals scale, I like to recommend measuring the flour and psyllium like this – scoop the psyllium/flour somewhat bit too full after which gently shake the measuring cup over the bag till the measuring cup flattens out. Scooping the flour and urgent it to the facet of the bag to flatten it would compress the flour, and you’ll have an excessive amount of. Too a lot lupin flour simply makes issues somewhat dry, so not an enormous deal, however value noting.
- You can not substitute the psyllium for something, sadly. You can use both psyllium husk, or psyllium powder (in equal quantities by weight), simply make sure you whisk all of the dry substances collectively, as psyllium powder tends to clump up simply.
- I wish to high these with every thing bagel mix. It’s not a crucial step, however an ideal one.
- These are best to de-pan with a silicone bagel mould, however for those who don’t have a silicone one, you possibly can simply grease the pan with coconut oil (or no matter you’ve got on-hand) earlier than filling it.
- While I try to offer correct dietary info, totally different manufacturers and sorts of substances may have differing macros, so your calculations might differ!
Flax-Free Vegan Keto Bagels (gluten-free-, soy-free, nut-free, coconut-free)
These easy-to-make vegan keto bagels are allergen-friendly and are flax-free, coconut-free, soy-free, nut-free and gluten-free! They’re good for toasting up with some buttery unfold or making into little bagel pizzas.
- half of cup, plus 2 tbsp (75g) lupin flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt (add as much as 1 tsp if utilizing unsalted tahini)
- 1/four cup (20g) complete psyllium husks
- 1 cup (240ml) water
- half of cup (120g) tahini
- optionally available every thing bagel mix or sesame seeds for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C). If utilizing a metallic bagel tin, evenly grease every properly with oil and if utilizing a silicone bagel pan, no prep is critical.
- To a mixing bowl, whisk collectively lupin flour, psyllium husk, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine collectively water and tahini till totally mixed.
- Stir the dry substances into the moist, after which stir to kind the dough/batter. It’s going to appear like soup at first, however that is regular! It will thicken up in about 5 minutes, because the lupin flour and kind a thick batter. It will not pour, however you possibly can scoop it.
- Scoop into the wells of your bagel pan, and clean out a bit. These will rise within the oven and alter form barely, so this does not must be good.
- Now’s the time so as to add that bagel mix!
- Bake for round 30-35 minutes, till golden brown. Let cool utterly after which take away from the pan. I discover that protecting the bagels within the pan with a big lid so that they steam whereas they cool helps them to remain softer on the skin.
- To take pleasure in, reduce in half and toast such as you would a standard bagel. Then high as desired!
I discovered these turned out one of the best with a silicone bagel pan, however for those who solely have an everyday one, you possibly can simply grease it with somewhat oil earlier than placing the batter in!